With open stack it is possible to migrate an instance from one zone to another zone within our network. For example, an instance created within zone AMS-EQ3 can be migrated to another zone AMS-EU4. In order to migrate an instance to another zone several steps have to be followed. The migration process is fairly simple. This manual is guided with a step by step video instruction of witch you can find at the end of this article.
- Please make sure you have a proper back-up of all your data
- The migration process comes with downtime
- It's not possible to migrate a direct attached Public IP, only floating IPs and Internal networks can be migrated to another zone
- You can choose downtime of the service either before or after the migration dependable in your situation
Make a snapshot of the instance you want to migrate
- First login the Horizon interface
- From the left pane select Compute and then Instances
- Select the instance you want to migrate en at the right pane select "CREATE SNAPSHOT"
- Enter a "Snapshot Name" and select "CREATE SNAPSHOT"
- A snapshot of the system is being made, this process can take some time dependable on the disk size of the instance.
Launch a new instance in the new zone using the new snapshot
- From the left pane select Compute and then Images
- Select the snapshot image made and select "LAUNCH"
- Enter a new name for your instance in the new zone.
- Select the new "Availability Zone"
- Configure the other option available according to your needs
- Select "LAUNCH INSTANCE"
Switch the old and new instance
- If you choose to shut down the old instance afterwards please select "SHUT OFF INSTANCE" and wait unit the "Power State" shows "Shut Down"
- From the left pane select the option "Network" and then "Floating IPs"
- Search the attached Floating IP from the overview and select "DISASSOCIATE"
- Select with this Floating IP the option "ASSOCIATE"
- Select the correct port/instance at the option "Port to be associated" and then select "ASSOCIATE"
Final migration steps
- Afterwards u can choose to remove the old instance or shelf as backup. When shelfed we only charge costs for the root disks and volumes attached to this instance.
- When choosing to shelf an instance select "SHELVE INSTANCE
- Remove the old snapshot by selecting from the left pane "Compute" and then "Images". Then select the snapshot and from the scroll down the option "Delete Image"